Joining Bromyard Bowmen
Before You Can Join
Before being eligible to join Bromyard Bowmen (or indeed any other Archery GB affiliated club), you must first complete a beginners course. We run these regularly throughout the year in our indoor shooting hall (so the weather will not be able to interfere!). Our course usually takes place across three consecutive Saturday mornings. You must attend all three sessions to pass. All equipment is provided. We actively discourage you from purchasing any equipment at this stage.
Beginners Course Application Form
Our beginner’s courses take place over three Saturday mornings. As a result of a large number of enquiries we are currently holding a waiting list for beginners’ courses which we will email as soon as we are able to schedule the next course. If you wish to be added to the waiting list, please request this using the contact page. We will then confirm your addition to the list.
Beginners Course Outline
- Introduction to the Olympic style Recurve Bow and protective equipment
- Safety aspects including whistles and verbal commands
- Warming up / Cooling down
- Barebow shooting demonstration followed by barebow shooting session (with individual coaching)
- Shooting demonstration with sights followed by shooting session with sights (with individual coaching)
- De-stringing a bow
- Stringing a bow
- Shooting session
- Retrieving and scoring arrows
- Demonstration of different bow types and accessories
- Discussion on types of archery
- Shooting session
- Rules of etiquette
- Governing body – GNAS (Grand National Archery Society), now known as Archery GB
- Explanation of how archery tournaments are run
- Beginners’ Tournament
- Presentation of tournament medals and course certificates
After the Course
After passing your beginners course and receiving your completion certificate, you are then eligible to join any Archery GB affiliated club in the country. We hope, of course, that you will choose to join Bromyard Bowmen!
In addition to receiving your certificate, you will also have been given details on how to join and the annual membership fees payable. The fees for 2022/23 can be viewed here.
Again we want to urge you NOT to go out and purchase any equipment at this stage. Beginner bows are available to hire for very modest sums and will be far better for you to develop your archery muscles safely.
We look forward to welcoming you to Bromyard Bowmen.