Protocols for the Resumption of Indoor & Outdoor Shooting during the Covid-19 Pandemic following Goverment Guidance issued 12th April 2021
Following a virtual meeting of the club committee it has been decided to resume both indoor and outdoor shooting in line with recent Government Guidance under a set of clearly defined rules.
This document lays out the procedures to be followed by Bromyard club members who wish to shoot indoors or outdoors at the Bromyard Bowmen Archery Club, Bromyard Sports Foundation ground.
These procedures should be read in conjunction with AGB’s latest Notes regarding “Club information COVID-19”. These notes can be found and downloaded from their website.
- There will be the opportunity for club members to shoot on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 18:30 hrs and on Sunday afternoons from 14:00 hrs.
- Members are able to pre-book a 1hr slot at 18:30 hrs and 19:50 hrs weekdays and 14:00 hrs and 15:20 hrs on Sundays for shooting indoors. Members will not be permitted to shoot unless they have pre-booked.
- A 2m distance will be maintained at all times between archers from different households.
- All archers must wear face coverings when entering / leaving the clubhouse and when setting up / taking down equipment. Face coverings can be removed only when shooting.
- Hands should be sanitised when entering the clubhouse (sanitiser will be available).
- Tables will be assigned for setup and take down of equipment.
- Members will only have a single session to allow for setup, take-down and sanitising of Bosses, Stands and all other equipment used. Members will not be permitted to shoot unless they have pre-booked.
- The field will be marked out in 4m lanes with a single shooting line.
- Members can choose the distance they wish to shoot.
- Members are responsible for setting up, taking down, sanitising and putting away all equipment. Members leaving without putting the equipment away will have their booking access removed.
- All archers must wear face coverings when in the stores (collecting equipment plus putting away) and when within 2m of anyone (e.g. lifting bosses on to stands). Hands should be sanitised before handling bosses, stands or any other equipment (sanitiser will be available).
- To limit any transmission of the virus, archers will be expected to turn-up, shoot and go home.
- Archers are expected to sanitise all equipment that does not belong to them that they have been in contact with.
- A nominated field captain will be present at all times unless there are no booked slots for that session. If members have booked outdoor session, the field captain will nominate an “Outdoor Field Captain” for that session from one of the members wishing to shoot outdoors. They will be responsible to ensure the guidelines are followed.
1. Booking a shooting slot.
a. The range will be open on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 18:30 hrs and Sundays from 14:00 hrs. Shooting slots can be booked via the Bromyard Bowmen website https://bromyardbowmen.org/members/lane-booking-rules-and-information (link opens in new tab).
b. Only full or associate members of Bromyard Bowmen will be allowed to shoot.
c. There will be 3 targets available enabling shooting at 20 yards and 18 metres. The time slots are 1 hour in duration.
|Monday, Tuesday and Thursday||Sunday|
|Session 1||18:30 - 19:30||14:00 - 15:00|
|Session 2||19:50 - 20:50||15:20 - 16:20|
|Mon, Tues and Thurs||Sun|
|Session 1||18:30 - 19:30||14:00 - 15:00|
|Session 2||19:50 - 20:50||15:20 - 16:20|
d. Initially there will be 4 lanes available outdoors. Archers are responsible for setting up and putting away bosses, stands and all other equipment used. Setup can commence from the start of Session 1 and all equipment used must be sanitised and put away by the end of Session 2.
e. Until we have an idea of the attendance at the various times please in the first instance book only one slot in a week. The cut-off time for booking a slot is two hours prior to the first session on each day. Please do NOT try to book spaces within two hours of the club opening as they will not be accepted. We can look to increase the outdoor lanes if demand requires it.
2. Shooting procedures.
a. Archers are encouraged to bring their equipment set up or partially set up to the range in a safe manner. Please ensure you turn up ready to shoot at the allotted time and be prepared to pack up and leave as soon as you have finished shooting.
b. There will not be any ad-hoc shooting. If you do not have a booked slot you will not be allowed to shoot.
c. Please use only the target you have booked. Another target may appear to be free but it may have been booked and the archer is late.
d. Archers are to use their own equipment or equipment provided by the club on a long term basis. Archers must not share equipment.
e. Please bring with you any hand sanitisers, face covering, gloves, wipes etc for your own personal use.
f. Target faces will be provided by the club and the archer should write their name on it and take it home with them after they have finished shooting and bring it with them for their next session. Four ‘pinch-pull’ target pins will also be provided for exclusive use by the archer.
g. There will be a maximum of two archers per boss from the same household/bubble.
h. One single face target to be used per boss. Family groups of two may use an additional three spot face or two three spot faces placed side by side to avoid damage to arrows.
i. Family groups of more than two must book additional bosses.
j. Shooting will be single detail only due to the time limited slots.
k. Outside there will be a single shooting line. Archers are responsible for setting up the target and stand at the distance they require from that shooting line. They are also responsible for sanitising the bosses, stands and any equipment used before putting away.
l. There will be a Range Captain present to manage the range at all times i.e. they will not be available for coaching or target setup/take down, equipment setup/repair duties although they may shoot.
3. Collecting arrows and stowing equipment
a. For family groups, the two archers can collect between ends but only one archer should pull arrows.
b. There is a 20 minute period at the end of each shooting session to allow for the changeover of archers.
c. Archers should limit shooting to 3 arrows at a time indoors. Please be considerate to other archers given the time limited slots.
d. Indoors, the central/shared club bow stand must not be used. Archers may use their own bow stands on the assigned table.
e. Bows and equipment should be stored on the assigned table when not shooting.
a. No refreshments will be available. Rugby Clubhouse Toilet Facilities are available if required. However, the person using the toilet MUST comply with the Rugby Clubhouse procedures, as indicated.
b. Eating and Drinking on the Archery Range should be avoided at all times. However, if Archers wish to bring drinking bottles and flasks, these should be sealable / non-spill design. Archers should avoid the sharing of bottles and flasks.
c. There will be hand sanitising gels on entry and on each assigned table and in the storeroom.
d. Archers are required to clean their hands before and after they have touched any item that does not belong to them.
e. There will be an arrow jack available in case of errant arrows. Please ask the Range Captain and they will remove an arrow.
f. A metal detector will be available if archers are shooting outdoors. The assigned Outdoor Range Captain will be responsible for using, sanitising and returning it.
g. Dedicated tables will be assigned to each archer/family group for each session for any set up, storage and take down. Tables will be sanitised at the end of each day.
h. There will not be any waste collection point on-site so please take all your rubbish home with you.
5. Visitors and coaches.
a. Visitors and spectators are not allowed.
b. For junior members we would ask that only one parent/carer attend with them. Juniors may not be conscious always of the complexities of good sanitising and social distancing and parents/carers are asked to be especially vigilant.
c. It is not intended that coaching will be available during these sessions but if there is a particular need then please approach the committee.
6. Archers with disabilities.
a. If you need assistance to gain access to the clubhouse, or to shoot or to collect your arrows please contact the club chairman or secretary in advance to discuss the best method to achieve this.
7. Health, personal data and ‘track and trace’.
a. Do not attend a session if you feel unwell or exhibit any symptom of COVID-19.
b. If, after attending a session, you show signs of infection or have tested positive or been asked to self-isolate please let a committee member know immediately.
c. By booking a shooting slot you give consent to Bromyard Bowmen sharing your contact details, e.g. mobile phone number, landline number or email address with any government department or their agent who may reasonably require these details in order to undertake contact tracing in the event of any member present at the same time as you and who subsequently shows symptoms of, or is tested positive for, COVID-19. Additionally, if the club is contacted directly by a member who believes they are at risk of transmitting the virus we will contact the other members present and advise them of the situation. We will do this anonymously and not specify who has tested positive or is self-isolating.
8. Control of shooting.
The return to shooting requires that all members act in accordance with these procedures. As a sport we are all aware of the safety of our fellow archers but in these times we need to be even more vigilant. In the very unlikely event that there is any dispute about the application of these procedures the range captain will have the final say. In the event that this is not satisfactory please bring it to the attention of the committee who will review the matter and if appropriate enact any changes.
Finally, we are attempting to return to indoor and outdoor archery together for the first time since August 2019 and there may well be changes required so please be patient.